An embarrassing moment defines a state of intense discomfort. The moment is usually experienced when one has a socially unacceptable act that is revealed or witnessed by others. Some dignity or honor is involved and the amount depends with the audience, occasion and situation.
The cause of the embarrassment to the two students was,
- Whispering to each other in class. The persona and her desk mate were whispering to each other while in a mathematics class.
- The homeroom teacher was against the vice of whispering in each others’ eyes in class. She summoned them in front making the persona embarrassed. The persona was also embarrassed when the teacher and fellow classmates sung ‘shame shame poppy shame’.
- The whole class hated being sung for that particular shame song.She also felt embarrassed when her friend pied in her company in front of the whole class.
- The student explains that she was not directly responsible for the mistake and felt victimized.
An analysis of the passage on an embarrassing moment faced by a six year old student reveals the things that affect kids to their old age.
- A six year old student with the whole future before her has a moment she wishes she didn’t have. Her future will be influenced by the occurrence of the event.
- Her self esteem, confidence and self belief will be injured. The essay serves to explain the situation and educate the need for children to be understood before some rules are reinforced.
- The teacher in the passage is a strict disciplinarian who worships rules. She subjects her young students to a punitive discipline routine to their dislike.
- There is need for teachers to consider the age of their students before deciding on the disciplinary measures to use on them.
The narrative is about a person who experienced an embarrassing moment while she was six years old. She was a member of a math class with a strict homeroom teacher.
- The teacher disliked the idea of students whispering in each other’s eyes. A friend of her’s was whispering in her ears when the strict teacher saw them.
- Both were ordered to go to the front of the class amid laughter by the other students. She did not like it. They were made to stand on top of a desk and a shameful song sung to them.
- Her friend pied on herself making the situation even more embarrassing. Considering that the persona was innocent, she felt like a victim of circumstances.
Embarrassment among kids is less often less talked about because kids rarely express themselves. For instance.
- Kids should be given room to express themselves and be heard.
- Guardians should express tolerance and patients for kids to grow into holistic individuals.
- Young students are likely to develop a negative attitude towards the subject because of what transpired. Teachers are required to provide a good foundation for the kids. A teacher should give good guidance, insight and boast the self esteem of students. The teacher in the passage doesn’t act like a good teacher. She doesn’t understand her student’s behavior and characteristics which she ought to. She has a strict punishment regime which should not be the case with young students. She should listen to her students and make them trust her. She imposes fear among her student.
- “Findings from University of Oregon in the Area of Psychopathology Reported (Cognitive
Neuroscience of Social Emotions and Implications for Psychopathology: Examining Embarrassment, Guilt, Envy, and Schadenfreude).” Mental Health Weekly Digest 14 July 2014. Print.
- Miller, Rowland S. Embarrassment: Poise and Peril in Everyday Life. New York: Guilford, 2006. Print.
- Miller, Rowland S. “Empathic Embarrassment: Situational and Personal Determinants of
Reactions to the Embarrassment of Another.” Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology: 1061-069. Print.
- “The Psychology of Embarrassment.”Psych Central.com. Web. 4 Nov. 2014.